Remove Fake Windows Activation screen (Detailed Removal Instructions) - Sep 2016 updated
Fake Windows Activation screen Removal Guide
Description of Fake Windows Activation screen
What is known about Fake Windows Activation screen virus?
Windows Activation screen virus is one of the trickeries used by scammers to target users of Windows operating system. It started spreading around more than six years ago, but recently it has renewed its activity, so be sure not to fall for it. Fake Windows Activation virus is categorized as a Trojan horse. Differently from other trojans versions, it does not hide from its victim. As soon as it gets into the system, it displays a lockscreen telling that the victim is using a pirated version of Windows OS. What is more, users can be disabled from using Windows features and informed that the only way to remove this lock is to activate their OS in 24 hours. Moreover, every time you click the computer screen, you can hear an audio message. Have you already found this warning on your computer? Keep calm! You are dealign with scammers who are trying to steal your money. You don’t need any licence key because this message is just a scam. To get rid of it, you should remove Fake Windows Activation from your PC with RestoroIntego.
Why do scammers need such viruses? Of course, they are trying to make the money. Victims of Windows Activation scam are asked to call the provided telephone number (1-888-479-3649), and contact tech support staff which is supposedly ready to explain how to activate Windows. The staff will gladly offer victims to purchase a new Windows licence key only for $99.99 USD. You should know that scammers have great knowledge in psychology and have perfect communication skills. So, they can be very persuasive and put a lot of effort to encourage you to buy a non-existing licence key. Moreover, crooks might try to get your personal details. Do not reveal them! You must never reveal personal or private information to people that you don’t know. Generally, you should not waste your time and perform Fake Windows Activation screen removal on your computer. To unblock the the lockscreen, enter ‘closecloseclosecloseclose’ into the activation box.
How to protect my computer from Windows Activation screen virus?
Noone meets and greets viruses gladly. The majority of Internet users want to protect their computers, and, hopefully, you are one of them. There are several tips you should follow. First of all, do not visit potentially malicious websites and do not click suspicious ads. No matter how great deals these ads are offering, they might cause you further computer infections. Secondly, always pay attention to the installation process of freeware, shareware and similar downloads. Make sure you always choose reliable developers and opt for ‘Advanced’ or ‘Custom’ installation modes. Then, you can control optional software installation and stop potentially unwanted programs from getting into your PC. Lastly, be careful with emails. Do not open spam and emails from unknown senders. If you opened an email that looks suspicious, do not click on any provided links and stay away from attachments. You might be redirected to a malicious website or download the installation file that belongs to virus.
Simple ways to get rid of the virus
The first step of Fake Windows Activation screen virus removal is to restart your computer in the Safe Mode with Networking. Then, you have to download or update anti-malware software and start a full system scan. Keep in mind taht only the professional and reliable software can help you remove Windows Activation screen virus with all its components. However, some users have encountered particular problems with virus removal. To remove the lock screen caused by this trojan, you can also enter ‘closecloseclosecloseclose’ into the activation box. However, keep in mind that this code does not remove malware from your computer! For that, you must scan it with RestoroIntego, SpyHunter 5Combo Cleaner or Malwarebytes. If something goes wrong, look up our detailed instructions bellow.
Getting rid of Fake Windows Activation screen. Follow these steps
In-depth guide for the Fake Windows Activation screen elimination
The elimination guide can appear too difficult if you are not tech-savvy. It requires some knowledge of computer processes since it includes system changes that need to be performed correctly. You need to take steps carefully and follow the guide avoiding any issues created due to improper setting changes. Automatic methods might suit you better if you find the guide too difficult.
Step 1. Launch Safe Mode with Networking
Safe Mode environment offers better results of manual virus removal
Windows 7 / Vista / XP
- Go to Start.
- Choose Shutdown, then Restart, and OK.
- When your computer boots, start pressing the F8 button (if that does not work, try F2, F12, Del, etc. – it all depends on your motherboard model) a few times until you see the Advanced Boot Options window.
- Select Safe Mode with Networking from the list.
Windows 10 / Windows 8
- Right-click the Start button and choose Settings.
- Scroll down to find Update & Security.
- On the left, pick Recovery.
- Scroll to find Advanced Startup section.
- Click Restart now.
- Choose Troubleshoot.
- Go to Advanced options.
- Select Startup Settings.
- Press Restart.
- Choose 5) Enable Safe Mode with Networking.
Step 2. End questionable processes
You can rely on Windows Task Manager that finds all the random processes in the background. When the intruder is triggering any processes, you can shut them down:
- Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc keys to open Windows Task Manager.
- Click on More details.
- Scroll down to Background processes.
- Look for anything suspicious.
- Right-click and select Open file location.
- Go back to the Process tab, right-click and pick End Task.
- Delete the contents of the malicious folder.
Step 3. Check the program in Startup
- Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc on your keyboard again.
- Go to the Startup tab.
- Right-click on the suspicious app and pick Disable.
Step 4. Find and eliminate virus files
Data related to the infection can be hidden in various places. Follow the steps and you can find them:
- Type in Disk Cleanup in Windows search and press Enter.
- Select the drive (C: is your main drive by default and is likely to be the one that has malicious files in) you want to clean.
- Scroll through the Files to delete and select the following:
Temporary Internet Files
- Pick Clean up system files.
- You can also look for other malicious files hidden in the following folders (type these entries in Windows Search and press Enter):
After you are finished, reboot the PC in normal mode.
Eliminate Fake Windows Activation screen using System Restore
Step 1: Restart your computer in Safe Mode with Command Prompt
Windows 7 / Vista / XP
- Go to Start → Shutdown → Restart → OK.
- As soon as your computer starts, start pressing F8 key repeatedly before the Windows logo shows up.
- Choose Command Prompt from the list
Windows 10 / Windows 8
- Click on the Power button at the Windows login screen, and then press and hold Shift key on your keyboard. Then click Restart.
- Then select Troubleshoot → Advanced options → Startup Settings and click Restart.
- Once your computer starts, select Enable Safe Mode with Command Prompt from the list of options in Startup Settings.
Step 2: Perform a system restore to recover files and settings
- When the Command Prompt window appears, type in cd restore and press Enter.
- Then type rstrui.exe and hit Enter..
- In a new window that shows up, click the Next button and choose a restore point that was created before the infiltration of Fake Windows Activation screen and then click on the Next button again.
- To start system restore, click Yes.
It is strongly recommended to take precautions and secure your computer from malware attacks. To protect your PC from Fake Windows Activation screen and other dangerous viruses, you should install and keep a powerful malware removal tool, for instance, RestoroIntego, SpyHunter 5Combo Cleaner or Malwarebytes.
How to prevent from getting malware
Securely connect to your website wherever you are
Sometimes you may need to log in to a content management system or server more often, especially if you are actively working on a blog, website, or different project that needs constant maintenance or that requires frequent content updates or other changes. Avoiding this problem can be easy if you choose a dedicated/fixed IP address. It's a static IP address that only belongs to a specific device and does not change when you are in different locations.
VPN service providers such as Private Internet Access can help you with these settings. This tool can help you control your online reputation and successfully manage your projects wherever you are. It is important to prevent different IP addresses from connecting to your website. With a dedicated/fixed IP address, VPN service, and secure access to a content management system, your project will remain secure.
Recover files damaged by a dangerous malware attack
Despite the fact that there are various circumstances that can cause data to be lost on a system, including accidental deletion, the most common reason people lose photos, documents, videos, and other important data is the infection of malware.
Some malicious programs can delete files and prevent the software from running smoothly. However, there is a greater threat from the dangerous viruses that can encrypt documents, system files, and images. Ransomware-type viruses focus on encrypting data and restricting users’ access to files, so you can permanently lose personal data when you download such a virus to your computer.
The ability to unlock encrypted files is very limited, but some programs have a data recovery feature. In some cases, the Data Recovery Pro program can help recover at least some of the data that has been locked by a virus or other cyber infection.