Cryakl virus Removal Guide
Description of Cryakl ransomware virus
Is Cryakl virus a real threat?
Cryakl virus has been spotted at the beginning of April 2016 and still continues targeting computer user all over the world. However, virus researchers have already cracked the code and created the decryption software. Even though you encounter this virus, you should not worry about data recovery options. In case of ransomware attack, all you have to do is to remove Cryakl from the system using ReimageIntego or any other reputable malware removal tool. After virus elimination, you can restore data from backups or use Cryakl Decryption tool. Besides, if you want to avoid ransomware or its consequences in the future, you should be careful online, protect your computer with a reliable antivirus program and make data backups regularly.
Cryakl ransomware may be delivered straight to your spam email inbox – just like any other file-encrypting virus. If you decide to open an attached document, you will let the virus sneak inside and do its dirty job. After infiltration, it starts scanning computer’s system and look for various file types. There’s no doubt that the Cryakl virus will damage all Microsoft Office, various audio, video and picture files. The malware uses AES encryption algorithm and appends either .cryakl or.the Cryakl file extension to each infected file. When victim’s personal files are encoded, the virus drops a ransom note where cyber criminals explain about data encryption and decryption. According to the hackers, the only way to get back access to all your work-related documents, holiday pictures, movie or music collection, may be recovered only if he or she transfers a particular amount of money within 72 hours. As we already mentioned, you should not try to figure out how to purchase Bitcoins or send them to cyber criminals. There’s a free decryption tool, and you should use it after Cryakl removal.
Malware transmission techniques
The most popular Cryakl malware distribution method is malicious spam emails. Hackers launch various campaigns to spread an infected Word, PDF or other safe-looking file and trick users into opening it. This document may be named as an invoice, statement or pay check. Criminals may pretend to be representatives from various governmental or financial institutions. Users rarely find something suspicious and usually trust these emails. However, if you receive an email from an unknown person and he or she asks you to open the attachment immediately, do not rush doing it! Make sure you can trust the sender first. Besides, ransomware viruses might be hidden under malware-laden ads, lurking on high-risk websites or bundled with questionable software updates and downloads. If you want to avoid Cryakl or other malware, you should act carefully online and watch every click. Do not open any suspicious emails and links or attachment provided in them. Avoid visiting high-risk websites such as gaming, gambling or adult-themed sites. Besides, protect your PC with a strong security program and make backup copies regularly. Cryakl removal guidelines
Cryakl removal guidelines
Good news is that this dangerous ransomware has been defeated. Malware researchers created a decryption tool that helps to recover corrupted files. However, before using this tool, you have to remove Cryakl first. If you have at least an idea to remove the virus manually, forget it right now! Manual malware removal is nearly impossible for regular computer users. You may delete necessary files and damage computer’s system even more. Install a professional malware removal tool and opt for automatic Cryakl removal. If you don’t have any reliable security program installed on your PC, we recommend installing ReimageIntego, SpyHunter 5Combo Cleaner or Malwarebytes. If you encounter any difficulties during malware removal, check the instructions below. Once the virus is gone, you can recover your files from data backups or use Cryakl removal tool.
Getting rid of Cryakl virus. Follow these steps
In-depth guide for the Cryakl elimination
The elimination guide can appear too difficult if you are not tech-savvy. It requires some knowledge of computer processes since it includes system changes that need to be performed correctly. You need to take steps carefully and follow the guide avoiding any issues created due to improper setting changes. Automatic methods might suit you better if you find the guide too difficult.
Step 1. Launch Safe Mode with Networking
Safe Mode environment offers better results of manual virus removal
Windows 7 / Vista / XP
- Go to Start.
- Choose Shutdown, then Restart, and OK.
- When your computer boots, start pressing the F8 button (if that does not work, try F2, F12, Del, etc. – it all depends on your motherboard model) a few times until you see the Advanced Boot Options window.
- Select Safe Mode with Networking from the list.
Windows 10 / Windows 8
- Right-click the Start button and choose Settings.
- Scroll down to find Update & Security.
- On the left, pick Recovery.
- Scroll to find Advanced Startup section.
- Click Restart now.
- Choose Troubleshoot.
- Go to Advanced options.
- Select Startup Settings.
- Press Restart.
- Choose 5) Enable Safe Mode with Networking.
Step 2. End questionable processes
You can rely on Windows Task Manager that finds all the random processes in the background. When the intruder is triggering any processes, you can shut them down:
- Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc keys to open Windows Task Manager.
- Click on More details.
- Scroll down to Background processes.
- Look for anything suspicious.
- Right-click and select Open file location.
- Go back to the Process tab, right-click and pick End Task.
- Delete the contents of the malicious folder.
Step 3. Check the program in Startup
- Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc on your keyboard again.
- Go to the Startup tab.
- Right-click on the suspicious app and pick Disable.
Step 4. Find and eliminate virus files
Data related to the infection can be hidden in various places. Follow the steps and you can find them:
- Type in Disk Cleanup in Windows search and press Enter.
- Select the drive (C: is your main drive by default and is likely to be the one that has malicious files in) you want to clean.
- Scroll through the Files to delete and select the following:
Temporary Internet Files
- Pick Clean up system files.
- You can also look for other malicious files hidden in the following folders (type these entries in Windows Search and press Enter):
After you are finished, reboot the PC in normal mode.
Eliminate Cryakl using System Restore
Step 1: Restart your computer in Safe Mode with Command Prompt
Windows 7 / Vista / XP
- Go to Start → Shutdown → Restart → OK.
- As soon as your computer starts, start pressing F8 key repeatedly before the Windows logo shows up.
- Choose Command Prompt from the list
Windows 10 / Windows 8
- Click on the Power button at the Windows login screen, and then press and hold Shift key on your keyboard. Then click Restart.
- Then select Troubleshoot → Advanced options → Startup Settings and click Restart.
- Once your computer starts, select Enable Safe Mode with Command Prompt from the list of options in Startup Settings.
Step 2: Perform a system restore to recover files and settings
- When the Command Prompt window appears, type in cd restore and press Enter.
- Then type rstrui.exe and hit Enter..
- In a new window that shows up, click the Next button and choose a restore point that was created before the infiltration of Cryakl and then click on the Next button again.
- To start system restore, click Yes.
Bonus: Restore your filesUsing the tutorial provided above you should be able to eliminate Cryakl from the infected device. novirus.uk team has also prepared an in-depth data recovery guide which you will also find above.
If you have been infected with Cryakl virus, you should not consider paying the ransom. All corrupted files may be easily decrypted with the Cryakl decryption tool. However, if you have to deal with new version of the virus and this tool does not work efficiently, try additional data recovery methods:
There are a couple of methods you can apply to recover data encrypted by Cryakl:
Restore personal files with Data Recovery Pro
This tool may be useful to restore personal files after ransomware attack. We cannot assure that this program will recover all your files, but you should give it a try.
- Download Data Recovery Pro;
- Install Data Recovery on your computer following the steps indicated in the software’s Setup;
- Run the program to scan your device for the data encrypted by Cryakl ransomware;
- Recover the data.
Data recovery with Windows Previous Versions feature
If you have enabled a System Restore function before ransomware attack, follow the steps below and recover some of your files. However, if this function hasn’t been enabled before, this method won’t work for you.
- Right-click on the encrypted document you want to recover;
- Click “Properties” and navigate to “Previous versions” tab;
- In the “Folder versions” section look for the available file copies. Choose the desired version and press “Restore”.
Restore files using ShadowExplorer
If Cryakl virus hasn’t deleted Volume Shadow Copies, you can recover your files with ShadowExplorer following the instructions below:
- Download Shadow Explorer (http://shadowexplorer.com/);
- Install Shadow Explorer on your computer following the instructions in the software’s Setup Wizard;
- Run the program. Navigate to the menu on the top-left corner and select a disk containing your encrypted files. Look through the available folders;
- When you find the folder you want to recover, right-click it and select “Export”. Also, choose where the recovered data will be stored.
Cryakl Decryption tool
Virus researchers developed the Cryakl Decryptor which is designed to restore all your personal files.
It is strongly recommended to take precautions and secure your computer from malware attacks. To protect your PC from Cryakl and other dangerous viruses, you should install and keep a powerful malware removal tool, for instance, ReimageIntego, SpyHunter 5Combo Cleaner or Malwarebytes.
How to prevent from getting ransomware
A proper web browser and VPN tool can guarantee better safety
As online spying becomes an increasing problem, people are becoming more interested in how to protect their privacy. One way to increase your online security is to choose the most secure and private web browser. But if you want complete anonymity and security when surfing the web, you need Private Internet Access VPN service. This tool successfully reroutes traffic across different servers, so your IP address and location remain protected. It is also important that this tool is based on a strict no-log policy, so no data is collected and cannot be leaked or made available to first or third parties. If you want to feel safe on the internet, a combination of a secure web browser and a Private Internet Access VPN will help you.
Recover files damaged by a dangerous malware attack
Despite the fact that there are various circumstances that can cause data to be lost on a system, including accidental deletion, the most common reason people lose photos, documents, videos, and other important data is the infection of malware.
Some malicious programs can delete files and prevent the software from running smoothly. However, there is a greater threat from the dangerous viruses that can encrypt documents, system files, and images. Ransomware-type viruses focus on encrypting data and restricting users’ access to files, so you can permanently lose personal data when you download such a virus to your computer.
The ability to unlock encrypted files is very limited, but some programs have a data recovery feature. In some cases, the Data Recovery Pro program can help recover at least some of the data that has been locked by a virus or other cyber infection.