Uninstall CerberTear virus (Easy-to-follow Removal Guide)
CerberTear virus Removal Guide
Description of CerberTear ransomware virus
CerberTear ransomware virus: copycat or a real threat?
CerberTear virus tries to make computer users believe that it’s a new version of the dangerous and well-known cyber threat. Even though some new Cerber’s versions has been recently released, this malware has nothing in common with them. Well, it only appends .cerber file extension to the encrypted data and offers to decrypt files using Cerber Ransomware Decryptor. It seems that developers of CerberTear ransomware are actually lazy. Apart borrowing the name, they also used HiddenTear’s code. It was an open-source and educational ransomware project. As you can realise, hackers decided to use this code for their good, and after few modifications, they launch another blackmailing tool online. Cyber criminals try to swindle the money from innocent computer users by taking their files to hostage. They demand 0.4 Bitcoins for data recovery solution. It‘s relatively small ransom; however, we do not recommend giving your money to the criminals. Even if they provide the necessary software, it may be corrupted or install additional malware along with decrypted files. Instead of transferring the ransom, remove CerberTear from the computer with the help of RestoroIntego or other reputable malware removal program.
Malware spreads via malicious email attachments and targets various popular file types such as MS Office documents, pictures, video or audio files. It encodes data using asymmetric cryptography that means that for file encryption hackers use a public key and for file decryption users need to get a private key. That’s why they ask to pay some Bitcoins! Once the data is locked, CerberTear virus drops a ransom note in every folder that includes encrypted files. The ransom note is called HOW_TO_RESTORE_YOUR_DATA.html and reveals all necessary information about data decryption. Of course, hackers try to scare victims and prevent them from accessing other tools that may help to recover files:
Any attempts to get back your files with the third-party tools can be fatal for your encrypted files.
The most part of the third-party software change data within the encrypted file to restore it but this causes damage to the files.
Finally it will be impossible to decrypt your files.
Keep in mind that it’s only psychological terror. Cyber criminals know that users rarely back up their personal files, so losing them seems like the end of the world. However, if you have data backups and store them in external devices, you don’t need to worry about paying the ransom. Just initiate CerberTear removal, connects USB or another device to the computer and copy your files. Though, you can use additional data recovery methods presented at the end of the article. But don’t forget to remove malware first!
How to avoid ransomware?
CerberTear malware is not the only file encrypting virus spreading all around the net. Thousand different viruses try to get inside computers to cause havoc and panic. Ransomware spreads as a safe looking document attached to an email. Usually, developers name these files as official documents, bank statements, invoices, CV and so on. Crooks pretend to be from reliable, well-known and official institutions and inform about some serious issue. However, before opening any email attachment, look attentively to the sender’s email address and think if it can be real. Double check the information online or contact the institution directly. Keep in mind that checking information takes less time than ransomware elimination.
CerberTear removal guidelines
Ransomware-type viruses are dangerous cyber threats, so you should not consider manual CerberTear removal. It’s almost impossible. Dedicate this job for professional malware removal tools such as RestoroIntego or SpyHunter 5Combo Cleaner. Before starting malware elimination, look through our prepared guidelines below. The virus may prevent from accessing anti-malware or antivirus programs, so you will need to reboot the computer to the Safe Mode with Networking. If you encounter any difficulties, don’t give up because it is still possible to remove CerberTear from the system!
Getting rid of CerberTear virus. Follow these steps
In-depth guide for the CerberTear elimination
The elimination guide can appear too difficult if you are not tech-savvy. It requires some knowledge of computer processes since it includes system changes that need to be performed correctly. You need to take steps carefully and follow the guide avoiding any issues created due to improper setting changes. Automatic methods might suit you better if you find the guide too difficult.
Step 1. Launch Safe Mode with Networking
Safe Mode environment offers better results of manual virus removal
Windows 7 / Vista / XP
- Go to Start.
- Choose Shutdown, then Restart, and OK.
- When your computer boots, start pressing the F8 button (if that does not work, try F2, F12, Del, etc. – it all depends on your motherboard model) a few times until you see the Advanced Boot Options window.
- Select Safe Mode with Networking from the list.
Windows 10 / Windows 8
- Right-click the Start button and choose Settings.
- Scroll down to find Update & Security.
- On the left, pick Recovery.
- Scroll to find Advanced Startup section.
- Click Restart now.
- Choose Troubleshoot.
- Go to Advanced options.
- Select Startup Settings.
- Press Restart.
- Choose 5) Enable Safe Mode with Networking.
Step 2. End questionable processes
You can rely on Windows Task Manager that finds all the random processes in the background. When the intruder is triggering any processes, you can shut them down:
- Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc keys to open Windows Task Manager.
- Click on More details.
- Scroll down to Background processes.
- Look for anything suspicious.
- Right-click and select Open file location.
- Go back to the Process tab, right-click and pick End Task.
- Delete the contents of the malicious folder.
Step 3. Check the program in Startup
- Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc on your keyboard again.
- Go to the Startup tab.
- Right-click on the suspicious app and pick Disable.
Step 4. Find and eliminate virus files
Data related to the infection can be hidden in various places. Follow the steps and you can find them:
- Type in Disk Cleanup in Windows search and press Enter.
- Select the drive (C: is your main drive by default and is likely to be the one that has malicious files in) you want to clean.
- Scroll through the Files to delete and select the following:
Temporary Internet Files
- Pick Clean up system files.
- You can also look for other malicious files hidden in the following folders (type these entries in Windows Search and press Enter):
After you are finished, reboot the PC in normal mode.
Eliminate CerberTear using System Restore
Step 1: Restart your computer in Safe Mode with Command Prompt
Windows 7 / Vista / XP
- Go to Start → Shutdown → Restart → OK.
- As soon as your computer starts, start pressing F8 key repeatedly before the Windows logo shows up.
- Choose Command Prompt from the list
Windows 10 / Windows 8
- Click on the Power button at the Windows login screen, and then press and hold Shift key on your keyboard. Then click Restart.
- Then select Troubleshoot → Advanced options → Startup Settings and click Restart.
- Once your computer starts, select Enable Safe Mode with Command Prompt from the list of options in Startup Settings.
Step 2: Perform a system restore to recover files and settings
- When the Command Prompt window appears, type in cd restore and press Enter.
- Then type rstrui.exe and hit Enter..
- In a new window that shows up, click the Next button and choose a restore point that was created before the infiltration of CerberTear and then click on the Next button again.
- To start system restore, click Yes.
Bonus: Restore your filesUsing the tutorial provided above you should be able to eliminate CerberTear from the infected device. novirus.uk team has also prepared an in-depth data recovery guide which you will also find above.
If you have been infected with CerberTear ransomware virus, do not rush paying the ransom. If you have data backups, restore files from them. If you don’t have them, after virus elimination try additional data recovery methods presented below.
There are a couple of methods you can apply to recover data encrypted by CerberTear:
Data Recovery Pro tool
Before giving Data Recovery Pro a try, you should try to restore files with HiddenTear decryption tool that you will find below. However, if it leaves your files encrypted, follow these instructions:
- Download Data Recovery Pro;
- Install Data Recovery on your computer following the steps indicated in the software’s Setup;
- Run the program to scan your device for the data encrypted by CerberTear ransomware;
- Recover the data.
A well-known malware researcher Michael Gillespie has created a tool that helps to restore files encrypted by HiddenTear and all its versions. Therefore, do not hesitate and download it now.
It is strongly recommended to take precautions and secure your computer from malware attacks. To protect your PC from CerberTear and other dangerous viruses, you should install and keep a powerful malware removal tool, for instance, RestoroIntego, SpyHunter 5Combo Cleaner or Malwarebytes.
How to prevent from getting ransomware
A proper web browser and VPN tool can guarantee better safety
As online spying becomes an increasing problem, people are becoming more interested in how to protect their privacy. One way to increase your online security is to choose the most secure and private web browser. But if you want complete anonymity and security when surfing the web, you need Private Internet Access VPN service. This tool successfully reroutes traffic across different servers, so your IP address and location remain protected. It is also important that this tool is based on a strict no-log policy, so no data is collected and cannot be leaked or made available to first or third parties. If you want to feel safe on the internet, a combination of a secure web browser and a Private Internet Access VPN will help you.
Recover files damaged by a dangerous malware attack
Despite the fact that there are various circumstances that can cause data to be lost on a system, including accidental deletion, the most common reason people lose photos, documents, videos, and other important data is the infection of malware.
Some malicious programs can delete files and prevent the software from running smoothly. However, there is a greater threat from the dangerous viruses that can encrypt documents, system files, and images. Ransomware-type viruses focus on encrypting data and restricting users’ access to files, so you can permanently lose personal data when you download such a virus to your computer.
The ability to unlock encrypted files is very limited, but some programs have a data recovery feature. In some cases, the Data Recovery Pro program can help recover at least some of the data that has been locked by a virus or other cyber infection.