.Shit virus Removal Guide
Description of .Shit ransomware virus
What to expect from .Shit ransomware virus?
The .Shit virus might sound like a joke, but there’s nothing funny about ransomware viruses, especially when we are talking about the latest version of the Locky virus. Probably we can call Locky the biggest and the most dangerous virus of this year. Some of its versions are still active and threatening computer users all over the world, and virus researchers are trying to track their codes and create free file decryption tools. However, .SHIT ransomware has been recently spotted targeting computers in France and spreading to other European countries such as the United Kingdom, Germany, and Poland. We believe that the virus will spread further and soon starts affecting computers in other continents as well. The new file-encrypting virus spreads via malicious email attachments and after infiltration starts scanning computer’s system looking for more than 400 different types of files. Indeed, it’s nearly impossible that your personal files and documents might survive the attack. The malware uses a military grade AES CBC 256-bit algorithm and appends .shit file extension to each of the corrupted files. Since then it’s impossible to decrypt files without particular decryption key that is hidden in the unknown hackers’ servers. If you haven’t encountered ransomware attack, you should make backups of all your important data and store them in external devices. The number of ransomware attacks is increasing every single day, so you have to be prepared for the worst. Unfortunately, if your files are encrypted, and hackers require making the payment, do not give up. Remove .Shit virus from the computer with a help of FortectIntego or other professional malware removal program. Virus elimination does not recover locked files, but this step is necessary for protecting your computer and data in the future.
Once files are encoded, victims find three versions of the ransom note:
After the attack affected computer’s wallpaper is changed to ransom message _WHAT_is.bmp. The message encourages victims to read ransom notes in .html. Their content does not differ from other ransomware viruses that are related to infamous Locky. Ransom note generated by .Shit malware includes information about data encryption and decryption, how to purchase alternative currency and how to transfer ransom using anonymous TOR browser. Possibility to restore files using Locky Decrypter costs 0.5 Bitcoins that equals to 267 GBP. However, you should not risk your money for two reasons. First, hackers might disappear after receiving the payment, and second, using shady decryption tool you might install additional malware. We clearly understand that data loss is an unpleasant and scary experience; however, you should concentrate on .Shit virus removal. Only then you can think about data recovery and restore files from the backups. If you do not have backup copies, check additional data recovery methods at the end of the article.
Malware distribution techniques
.Shit virus removal and data decryption
To remove .Shit virus from your computer you have to employ a strong malware removal program such as FortectIntego, SpyHunter 5Combo Cleaner or Malwarebytes. Bear in mind that you have to reboot your PC to Safe Mode with Networking in order to install, update or access security programs. Ransomware viruses often prevent users from accessing antivirus programs. However, at the end of the article, you will find instructions how to eliminate the virus under these difficult circumstances. Keep in mind that .Shit removal does not recover corrupted files, but you can retrieve files from backups or use additional methods provided bellow.
Getting rid of .Shit virus. Follow these steps
In-depth guide for the .Shit elimination
The elimination guide can appear too difficult if you are not tech-savvy. It requires some knowledge of computer processes since it includes system changes that need to be performed correctly. You need to take steps carefully and follow the guide avoiding any issues created due to improper setting changes. Automatic methods might suit you better if you find the guide too difficult.
Step 1. Launch Safe Mode with Networking
Safe Mode environment offers better results of manual virus removal
Windows 7 / Vista / XP
- Go to Start.
- Choose Shutdown, then Restart, and OK.
- When your computer boots, start pressing the F8 button (if that does not work, try F2, F12, Del, etc. – it all depends on your motherboard model) a few times until you see the Advanced Boot Options window.
- Select Safe Mode with Networking from the list.
Windows 10 / Windows 8
- Right-click the Start button and choose Settings.
- Scroll down to find Update & Security.
- On the left, pick Recovery.
- Scroll to find Advanced Startup section.
- Click Restart now.
- Choose Troubleshoot.
- Go to Advanced options.
- Select Startup Settings.
- Press Restart.
- Choose 5) Enable Safe Mode with Networking.
Step 2. End questionable processes
You can rely on Windows Task Manager that finds all the random processes in the background. When the intruder is triggering any processes, you can shut them down:
- Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc keys to open Windows Task Manager.
- Click on More details.
- Scroll down to Background processes.
- Look for anything suspicious.
- Right-click and select Open file location.
- Go back to the Process tab, right-click and pick End Task.
- Delete the contents of the malicious folder.
Step 3. Check the program in Startup
- Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc on your keyboard again.
- Go to the Startup tab.
- Right-click on the suspicious app and pick Disable.
Step 4. Find and eliminate virus files
Data related to the infection can be hidden in various places. Follow the steps and you can find them:
- Type in Disk Cleanup in Windows search and press Enter.
- Select the drive (C: is your main drive by default and is likely to be the one that has malicious files in) you want to clean.
- Scroll through the Files to delete and select the following:
Temporary Internet Files
- Pick Clean up system files.
- You can also look for other malicious files hidden in the following folders (type these entries in Windows Search and press Enter):
After you are finished, reboot the PC in normal mode.
Eliminate .Shit using System Restore
Step 1: Restart your computer in Safe Mode with Command Prompt
Windows 7 / Vista / XP
- Go to Start → Shutdown → Restart → OK.
- As soon as your computer starts, start pressing F8 key repeatedly before the Windows logo shows up.
- Choose Command Prompt from the list
Windows 10 / Windows 8
- Click on the Power button at the Windows login screen, and then press and hold Shift key on your keyboard. Then click Restart.
- Then select Troubleshoot → Advanced options → Startup Settings and click Restart.
- Once your computer starts, select Enable Safe Mode with Command Prompt from the list of options in Startup Settings.
Step 2: Perform a system restore to recover files and settings
- When the Command Prompt window appears, type in cd restore and press Enter.
- Then type rstrui.exe and hit Enter..
- In a new window that shows up, click the Next button and choose a restore point that was created before the infiltration of .Shit and then click on the Next button again.
- To start system restore, click Yes.
Bonus: Restore your filesUsing the tutorial provided above you should be able to eliminate .Shit from the infected device. novirus.uk team has also prepared an in-depth data recovery guide which you will also find above.
The creators of .Shit ransomware claim that Locky Decrypter is the only tool that can restore locked files. Please, do not consider paying the ransom and using this suspicious tool. If you have backups, you can retrieve files from them. If not, try these additional data recovery methods:
There are a couple of methods you can apply to recover data encrypted by .Shit:
Retrieve data using Data Recovery Pro
This tool might be helpful to retrieve corrupted files. Data Recovery Pro is designed to locate and restore missing files after system wreckage, so it might be useful after ransomware attack as well.
- Download Data Recovery Pro;
- Install Data Recovery on your computer following the steps indicated in the software’s Setup;
- Run the program to scan your device for the data encrypted by .Shit ransomware;
- Recover the data.
Retrieve data using Windows Previous Versions feature
If you have enabled System Restore function before ransomware attack, this method might help you to retrieve some of your important files.
- Right-click on the encrypted document you want to recover;
- Click “Properties” and navigate to “Previous versions” tab;
- In the “Folder versions” section look for the available file copies. Choose the desired version and press “Restore”.
Retrieve data using ShadowExplorer feature
The .Shit virus might have deleted Volume Shadow Copies, but it might have failed as well. In this case, you should try using ShadowExplorer to retrieve your files.
- Download Shadow Explorer (http://shadowexplorer.com/);
- Install Shadow Explorer on your computer following the instructions in the software’s Setup Wizard;
- Run the program. Navigate to the menu on the top-left corner and select a disk containing your encrypted files. Look through the available folders;
- When you find the folder you want to recover, right-click it and select “Export”. Also, choose where the recovered data will be stored.
It is strongly recommended to take precautions and secure your computer from malware attacks. To protect your PC from .Shit and other dangerous viruses, you should install and keep a powerful malware removal tool, for instance, FortectIntego, SpyHunter 5Combo Cleaner or Malwarebytes.
How to prevent from getting ransomware
Prevent the government from spying on you
As there is a growing debate in government about collecting users' data and spying on citizens, you should take a closer look at this issue and find out what shady ways of gathering information can be used to collect information about you. You need to browse anonymously if you want to avoid any government-initiated spying and tracking of information.
You can enjoy secure internet browsing and minimize the risk of intrusion into your system if you use Private Internet Access VPN program. This VPN application creates a virtual private network and provides access to the required data without any content restrictions.
Control government and other third party access to your data and ensure safe web browsing. Even if you do not engage in illegal activities and trust your ISP, we recommend being careful about your security. You should take extra precautions and start using a VPN program.
Recover files damaged by a dangerous malware attack
Despite the fact that there are various circumstances that can cause data to be lost on a system, including accidental deletion, the most common reason people lose photos, documents, videos, and other important data is the infection of malware.
Some malicious programs can delete files and prevent the software from running smoothly. However, there is a greater threat from the dangerous viruses that can encrypt documents, system files, and images. Ransomware-type viruses focus on encrypting data and restricting users’ access to files, so you can permanently lose personal data when you download such a virus to your computer.
The ability to unlock encrypted files is very limited, but some programs have a data recovery feature. In some cases, the Data Recovery Pro program can help recover at least some of the data that has been locked by a virus or other cyber infection.