CryLocker virus Removal Guide
Description of CryLocker ransomware virus
General review of the CryLocker ransomware virus
CryLocker ransomware virus pretends to be a fake institution called the Central Security Treatment Organization. Hundreds of victims received a frightening message that all their files were encrypted using a persistent military-grade crypto algorithm. CryLocker virus has similar characteristics as recent ransomware infections: after infiltrating computer’s system, it encrypts the data, changes desktop background and puts the ransom note. In the ransom note, crooks ask to pay 1.1 Bitcoin (500 GBP) in order to get their locked files back. However, they should hurry up, because, after a while, the price will be doubled. The hackers try their best to convince victims that there’s no other way to recover the files. Nevertheless, there’s no free and reputable file decryption tool created yet; we do not advise paying the ransom. Hackers rarely help victims to recover the files. They are only interested in taking the money. If your computer was infected with this malware, your first and the most important task is CryLocker removal. Only when you get rid of the virus, you can try to restore your data from backups. It’s the only possible option at the moment. The virus deletes Shadow Volume Copies that might be useful in data recovery.
Latest information shows that the CryLocker virus spreads via Sundown exploit kit. Once it gets inside, it starts file encryption and appends .cry file extension to all corrupted files. Then, it leaves a ransom notes Recovery_[random_characters].html and !Recovery_[random_characters].txt files, and changes desktop picture. The new desktop background has a threatening message that all users’ files were encrypted. It seems hackers want to motivate victims to pay the ransom by finishing the message with Albert’s Einstein's’ quote. However, this virus is not a joke and you should take it seriously. CryLocker use Command and Control servers to collect information about computer’s operating system and determines user’s location with the help of nearby Service Set Identifier (SSID). Besides, it stores information about the victims on Imgur.com and Pastee.org. There’s possibility that hackers have secret purposes of gathering other personal or even private information. For your safety, you have to remove CryLocker from your PC immediately. For doing this, you might need professional anti-malware tools such as FortectIntego.
How does the ransomware spread?
Usually, ransomware type viruses spread via spam emails. Infected emails often have attachments. The crooks convince victims to open the attachment, and once they do it, the virus sneaks inside. If you want to avoid CryLocker malware and other ransomware viruses, you should be careful with your emails. Do not open any spam emails or emails which have an unknown sender. Moreover, the crooks might pretend to be representatives from an official and reliable institution. So, you have to be very careful and attentive, if you receive a suspicious email that encourages you to open the attached file. According to the latest information, the virus spreads via Sundown exploit kit. Also, if you want to protect your computer, you have to pay attention to software downloads and installation, stay away from suspicious advertisements and install a powerful antivirus program.
How to remove CryLocker from the PC?
Ransomware viruses are one of the most dangerous and strongest viruses. So, their elimination is not an easy task. For CryLocker removal you have to use a powerful anti-malware program. If you don’t have any, we recommend installing FortectIntego or SpyHunter 5Combo Cleaner. Before running a full system scan, you have to update your antivirus program. However, this malware can block security programs and prevent from downloading or updating them. Under these circumstances, you should our step-by-step guide how to remove CryLocker manually. When you eliminate the virus, don’t forget to scan your computer with an anti-malware program.
Getting rid of CryLocker virus. Follow these steps
In-depth guide for the CryLocker elimination
The elimination guide can appear too difficult if you are not tech-savvy. It requires some knowledge of computer processes since it includes system changes that need to be performed correctly. You need to take steps carefully and follow the guide avoiding any issues created due to improper setting changes. Automatic methods might suit you better if you find the guide too difficult.
Step 1. Launch Safe Mode with Networking
Safe Mode environment offers better results of manual virus removal
Windows 7 / Vista / XP
- Go to Start.
- Choose Shutdown, then Restart, and OK.
- When your computer boots, start pressing the F8 button (if that does not work, try F2, F12, Del, etc. – it all depends on your motherboard model) a few times until you see the Advanced Boot Options window.
- Select Safe Mode with Networking from the list.
Windows 10 / Windows 8
- Right-click the Start button and choose Settings.
- Scroll down to find Update & Security.
- On the left, pick Recovery.
- Scroll to find Advanced Startup section.
- Click Restart now.
- Choose Troubleshoot.
- Go to Advanced options.
- Select Startup Settings.
- Press Restart.
- Choose 5) Enable Safe Mode with Networking.
Step 2. End questionable processes
You can rely on Windows Task Manager that finds all the random processes in the background. When the intruder is triggering any processes, you can shut them down:
- Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc keys to open Windows Task Manager.
- Click on More details.
- Scroll down to Background processes.
- Look for anything suspicious.
- Right-click and select Open file location.
- Go back to the Process tab, right-click and pick End Task.
- Delete the contents of the malicious folder.
Step 3. Check the program in Startup
- Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc on your keyboard again.
- Go to the Startup tab.
- Right-click on the suspicious app and pick Disable.
Step 4. Find and eliminate virus files
Data related to the infection can be hidden in various places. Follow the steps and you can find them:
- Type in Disk Cleanup in Windows search and press Enter.
- Select the drive (C: is your main drive by default and is likely to be the one that has malicious files in) you want to clean.
- Scroll through the Files to delete and select the following:
Temporary Internet Files
- Pick Clean up system files.
- You can also look for other malicious files hidden in the following folders (type these entries in Windows Search and press Enter):
After you are finished, reboot the PC in normal mode.
Eliminate CryLocker using System Restore
Step 1: Restart your computer in Safe Mode with Command Prompt
Windows 7 / Vista / XP
- Go to Start → Shutdown → Restart → OK.
- As soon as your computer starts, start pressing F8 key repeatedly before the Windows logo shows up.
- Choose Command Prompt from the list
Windows 10 / Windows 8
- Click on the Power button at the Windows login screen, and then press and hold Shift key on your keyboard. Then click Restart.
- Then select Troubleshoot → Advanced options → Startup Settings and click Restart.
- Once your computer starts, select Enable Safe Mode with Command Prompt from the list of options in Startup Settings.
Step 2: Perform a system restore to recover files and settings
- When the Command Prompt window appears, type in cd restore and press Enter.
- Then type rstrui.exe and hit Enter..
- In a new window that shows up, click the Next button and choose a restore point that was created before the infiltration of CryLocker and then click on the Next button again.
- To start system restore, click Yes.
It is strongly recommended to take precautions and secure your computer from malware attacks. To protect your PC from CryLocker and other dangerous viruses, you should install and keep a powerful malware removal tool, for instance, FortectIntego, SpyHunter 5Combo Cleaner or Malwarebytes.
How to prevent from getting ransomware
Prevent the government from spying on you
As there is a growing debate in government about collecting users' data and spying on citizens, you should take a closer look at this issue and find out what shady ways of gathering information can be used to collect information about you. You need to browse anonymously if you want to avoid any government-initiated spying and tracking of information.
You can enjoy secure internet browsing and minimize the risk of intrusion into your system if you use Private Internet Access VPN program. This VPN application creates a virtual private network and provides access to the required data without any content restrictions.
Control government and other third party access to your data and ensure safe web browsing. Even if you do not engage in illegal activities and trust your ISP, we recommend being careful about your security. You should take extra precautions and start using a VPN program.
Reduce the threat of viruses by backing up your data
Due to their own careless behavior, computer users can suffer various losses caused by cyber infections. Viruses can affect the functionality of the software or directly corrupt data on your system by encrypting it. These problems can disrupt the system and cause you to lose personal data permanently. There is no such threat if you have the latest backups, as you can easily recover lost data and get back to work.
It is recommended to update the backups in parallel each time the system is modified. This way, you will be able to access the latest saved data after an unexpected virus attack or system failure. By having the latest copies of important documents and projects, you will avoid serious inconveniences. File backups are especially useful if malware attacks your system unexpectedly. We recommend using the Data Recovery Pro program to restore the system.