Locky decrypter Removal Guide
Description of Locky decrypter
How does Locky infiltrate computer system?
First of all, we would like to explain how this ransomware-type virus spreads and how it manages to enter victims’ computers. Cyber criminals mostly send this virus directly to victims via email. They send a malicious code in a Word file (although there were some cases when Locky arrived in a .zip file), and if the victim opens this file, code gets activated via Word Macros. Activated code downloads Locky’s executive file and runs it. Then this malware starts the disastrous file encryption process, scanning the system and corrupting all files so that they would become inaccessible for the user.
What happens next?
When Locky virus (read more about this virus here) enters a computer system and encrypts victim’s files stored on the computer, it leaves so-called ransom notes (_Locky_recover_instructions.txt) including information how to recover the encrypted data. It offers to buy Locky decrypter for a certain amount of money. This malicious computer infection encrypts files using RSA-2048 and AES-128 encryption algorithms, leaving no hope for the victim to recover the files without the unique decryption key. These ciphers are very hard to crack. However, computer experts are trying to find a way to do it. While there is no other option to recover the files, victims start to think whether they should pay the ransom or not. Locky commands to pay up within one week; otherwise, the price will double. The question is – should you buy Locky decrypter?
Does Locky decrypter work?
One thing to know when dealing with cyber criminals is that you can never trust them. Even though they promise to provide Locky decrypter, which supposedly should decrypt all encrypted data, such claims are hardly reliable. No one knows whether Locky decrypter actually decrypts the encrypted data. Therefore, if you decide to pay the ransom, you risk losing your money; remember that by paying cyber frauds you also support them. They deceive thousands of people and unfortunately, they earn a lot of money because many people desperately want to get their files back and pay the ransom. We would like to encourage you not to pay the ransom and remove Locky virus without a hesitation. Computer security experts advise doing that with a powerful malware removal program, e.g. FortectIntego.
Ways to prevent ransomware attack:
Computer viruses are much more advanced nowadays than they used to be a while ago. Cyber criminals create viruses that wreak havoc on the compromised PC, destroy files, or simply block access to the computer and then threaten the victim. Ransomware is one of the most efficient and profitable computer viruses of all time, because these viruses lock victims’ data, no matter how important it is. Computer users are scared to lose all files – unfortunately, when ransomware takes them hostage, it is hardly possible to get them back.
For this reason, PC users must take precautions and secure their computers from malware. The easiest way to do it is to install a reliable anti-malware solution. As we have already mentioned, frauds often send viruses via email, so computer users are advised NOT to open emails sent by unknown senders and never open emails that fall into Spam or Junk email folders. It is also important to be mindful when browsing the Internet and avoid visiting suspicious websites. If you ever end up on a website that seems suspicious to you, refrain yourself from exploring the content on such site, avoid clicking on links and banners, and do not download any files from them. You can also lower the risk of malware infection by saving downloads instead of opening them immediately. That gives computer security software some time to scan the file and determine its reliability.
Locky decrypter removal
Computer users who purchase Locky decrypter should remove it together with Locky virus. No matter if it was helpful or not, it is still a dangerous file that deserves to be deleted. You can never know if cybercriminals haven’t added additional functions to the Locky decrypter, such as an ability to download other PC threats to the compromised computer. For this reason, you must destroy Locky decrypter as well as other components of Locky ransomware. Please follow Locky removal guide below if you wish to remove it manually. However, if you prefer to remove Locky and its decryptor professionally, consider installing anti-malware such as SpyHunter.
Getting rid of Locky decrypter. Follow these steps
In-depth guide for the Locky decrypter elimination
The elimination guide can appear too difficult if you are not tech-savvy. It requires some knowledge of computer processes since it includes system changes that need to be performed correctly. You need to take steps carefully and follow the guide avoiding any issues created due to improper setting changes. Automatic methods might suit you better if you find the guide too difficult.
Step 1. Launch Safe Mode with Networking
Safe Mode environment offers better results of manual virus removal
Windows 7 / Vista / XP
- Go to Start.
- Choose Shutdown, then Restart, and OK.
- When your computer boots, start pressing the F8 button (if that does not work, try F2, F12, Del, etc. – it all depends on your motherboard model) a few times until you see the Advanced Boot Options window.
- Select Safe Mode with Networking from the list.
Windows 10 / Windows 8
- Right-click the Start button and choose Settings.
- Scroll down to find Update & Security.
- On the left, pick Recovery.
- Scroll to find Advanced Startup section.
- Click Restart now.
- Choose Troubleshoot.
- Go to Advanced options.
- Select Startup Settings.
- Press Restart.
- Choose 5) Enable Safe Mode with Networking.
Step 2. End questionable processes
You can rely on Windows Task Manager that finds all the random processes in the background. When the intruder is triggering any processes, you can shut them down:
- Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc keys to open Windows Task Manager.
- Click on More details.
- Scroll down to Background processes.
- Look for anything suspicious.
- Right-click and select Open file location.
- Go back to the Process tab, right-click and pick End Task.
- Delete the contents of the malicious folder.
Step 3. Check the program in Startup
- Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc on your keyboard again.
- Go to the Startup tab.
- Right-click on the suspicious app and pick Disable.
Step 4. Find and eliminate virus files
Data related to the infection can be hidden in various places. Follow the steps and you can find them:
- Type in Disk Cleanup in Windows search and press Enter.
- Select the drive (C: is your main drive by default and is likely to be the one that has malicious files in) you want to clean.
- Scroll through the Files to delete and select the following:
Temporary Internet Files
- Pick Clean up system files.
- You can also look for other malicious files hidden in the following folders (type these entries in Windows Search and press Enter):
After you are finished, reboot the PC in normal mode.
Eliminate Locky decrypter using System Restore
Step 1: Restart your computer in Safe Mode with Command Prompt
Windows 7 / Vista / XP
- Go to Start → Shutdown → Restart → OK.
- As soon as your computer starts, start pressing F8 key repeatedly before the Windows logo shows up.
- Choose Command Prompt from the list
Windows 10 / Windows 8
- Click on the Power button at the Windows login screen, and then press and hold Shift key on your keyboard. Then click Restart.
- Then select Troubleshoot → Advanced options → Startup Settings and click Restart.
- Once your computer starts, select Enable Safe Mode with Command Prompt from the list of options in Startup Settings.
Step 2: Perform a system restore to recover files and settings
- When the Command Prompt window appears, type in cd restore and press Enter.
- Then type rstrui.exe and hit Enter..
- In a new window that shows up, click the Next button and choose a restore point that was created before the infiltration of Locky decrypter and then click on the Next button again.
- To start system restore, click Yes.
It is strongly recommended to take precautions and secure your computer from malware attacks. To protect your PC from Locky decrypter and other dangerous viruses, you should install and keep a powerful malware removal tool, for instance, FortectIntego, SpyHunter 5Combo Cleaner or Malwarebytes.
How to prevent from getting ransomware
A proper web browser and VPN tool can guarantee better safety
As online spying becomes an increasing problem, people are becoming more interested in how to protect their privacy. One way to increase your online security is to choose the most secure and private web browser. But if you want complete anonymity and security when surfing the web, you need Private Internet Access VPN service. This tool successfully reroutes traffic across different servers, so your IP address and location remain protected. It is also important that this tool is based on a strict no-log policy, so no data is collected and cannot be leaked or made available to first or third parties. If you want to feel safe on the internet, a combination of a secure web browser and a Private Internet Access VPN will help you.
Reduce the threat of viruses by backing up your data
Due to their own careless behavior, computer users can suffer various losses caused by cyber infections. Viruses can affect the functionality of the software or directly corrupt data on your system by encrypting it. These problems can disrupt the system and cause you to lose personal data permanently. There is no such threat if you have the latest backups, as you can easily recover lost data and get back to work.
It is recommended to update the backups in parallel each time the system is modified. This way, you will be able to access the latest saved data after an unexpected virus attack or system failure. By having the latest copies of important documents and projects, you will avoid serious inconveniences. File backups are especially useful if malware attacks your system unexpectedly. We recommend using the Data Recovery Pro program to restore the system.