Skype virus Removal Guide
Description of Skype virus
Be aware of the Skype virus
For several years Skype virus has been targeting computer users all over the world by sending misleading links. People are naturally curious, so there’s no doubt that after receiving a link following the saying that it’s a funny or hilarious video, the majority of computer users will click it. However, nowadays Skype malware has lots of different versions and is constantly updated. The most common characteristic of the virus is malicious link received from one of the Skype contacts. Malware spreads like the chain reaction: then victim clicks on the link and follows all further requirements, the virus steps inside the system and keeps spreading the virus to the victim contacts. Indeed, the only way to stop this annoying virus is not to rush opening any received links that look suspicious. Probably, we all have that one friend who always sends lots of funny pictures or viral videos; however, if you receive a link from a person you haven’t talked for a long time, probably, he or she doesn’t even know about sending the link. Therefore, before clicking on strange or unexpectedly received link, always ask the sender what it is and if it is safe to view. If you get a confirmation that this video or picture is actually secure to watch, have a look. Otherwise, suggest your friend scanning computer’s system with ReimageIntego or other reputable malware removal tool, because he or she needs help in Skype virus removal.
Malware researchers remember that the first version of Skype malware was used to generate Bitcoins. For this reason, it was also known as Bitcoin virus. During the years, malware has been updated several times, and new versions of it came to the surface. At the moment Skype users should be aware that Koobface worm spreads via messages and suggest watching a particular video. After clicking on the link, the user is redirected to the suspicious domain where she or he is asked to update Flash player. If he or she agrees to install a necessary update, malware gets inside the system, and the malicious message keeps spreading further through the contact list. However, the biggest problem that Koobface virus can cause is money loss because it was created to steal credit card and bank details. Recently, another version of Skype virus has been noticed spreading Baidu.com link. After clicking on this link, victims are redirected to the fake Forbs websites such as Coolinfovip(dot)com or 2016forbesnews-f.net. Malware can change its face, so you should not trust every received link from your contact list. Sadly, if malware sneaked inside your PC, do not hesitate and remove Skype virus immediately.
How to avoid Skype virus?
There’s no surprise that virus targets Skype users and spreads via direct messages. Different versions of malware may send various messages encouraging to open the provided link. The only possible way to avoid Skype virus hijack is to stay away from suspicious links that have been sent by one of your contacts. If the domain looks unfamiliar or link is made of a random string of characters, you should suspect that something is not right. If you receive a doubtful link, always ask the sender if he or she actually sent it. Better stay safe than sorry.
Virus elimination tips
For Skype virus removal we recommend using a strong malware removal application that is capable of detecting and eliminating malware from the computer. Keep in mind that free, or illegal antivirus tools will not remove the virus from the computer. You should invest in your computer’s protection and install ReimageIntego or SpyHunter 5Combo Cleaner. Additionally, advanced computer users can try to remove Skype virus manually. This method is quite complicated; however, our team has prepared detailed instructions below.
Getting rid of Skype virus. Follow these steps
In-depth guide for the Skype elimination
For Skype virus elimination, you have to find and eliminate malware with all its related components. Follow the steps carefully. If you are not sure whether you removed the virus completely or not, scan the computer with strong antivirus program.
The elimination guide can appear too difficult if you are not tech-savvy. It requires some knowledge of computer processes since it includes system changes that need to be performed correctly. You need to take steps carefully and follow the guide avoiding any issues created due to improper setting changes. Automatic methods might suit you better if you find the guide too difficult.
Step 1. Launch Safe Mode with Networking
Safe Mode environment offers better results of manual virus removal
Windows 7 / Vista / XP
- Go to Start.
- Choose Shutdown, then Restart, and OK.
- When your computer boots, start pressing the F8 button (if that does not work, try F2, F12, Del, etc. – it all depends on your motherboard model) a few times until you see the Advanced Boot Options window.
- Select Safe Mode with Networking from the list.
Windows 10 / Windows 8
- Right-click the Start button and choose Settings.
- Scroll down to find Update & Security.
- On the left, pick Recovery.
- Scroll to find Advanced Startup section.
- Click Restart now.
- Choose Troubleshoot.
- Go to Advanced options.
- Select Startup Settings.
- Press Restart.
- Choose 5) Enable Safe Mode with Networking.
Step 2. End questionable processes
You can rely on Windows Task Manager that finds all the random processes in the background. When the intruder is triggering any processes, you can shut them down:
- Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc keys to open Windows Task Manager.
- Click on More details.
- Scroll down to Background processes.
- Look for anything suspicious.
- Right-click and select Open file location.
- Go back to the Process tab, right-click and pick End Task.
- Delete the contents of the malicious folder.
Step 3. Check the program in Startup
- Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc on your keyboard again.
- Go to the Startup tab.
- Right-click on the suspicious app and pick Disable.
Step 4. Find and eliminate virus files
Data related to the infection can be hidden in various places. Follow the steps and you can find them:
- Type in Disk Cleanup in Windows search and press Enter.
- Select the drive (C: is your main drive by default and is likely to be the one that has malicious files in) you want to clean.
- Scroll through the Files to delete and select the following:
Temporary Internet Files
- Pick Clean up system files.
- You can also look for other malicious files hidden in the following folders (type these entries in Windows Search and press Enter):
After you are finished, reboot the PC in normal mode.
Eliminate Skype using System Restore
Step 1: Restart your computer in Safe Mode with Command Prompt
Windows 7 / Vista / XP
- Go to Start → Shutdown → Restart → OK.
- As soon as your computer starts, start pressing F8 key repeatedly before the Windows logo shows up.
- Choose Command Prompt from the list
Windows 10 / Windows 8
- Click on the Power button at the Windows login screen, and then press and hold Shift key on your keyboard. Then click Restart.
- Then select Troubleshoot → Advanced options → Startup Settings and click Restart.
- Once your computer starts, select Enable Safe Mode with Command Prompt from the list of options in Startup Settings.
Step 2: Perform a system restore to recover files and settings
- When the Command Prompt window appears, type in cd restore and press Enter.
- Then type rstrui.exe and hit Enter..
- In a new window that shows up, click the Next button and choose a restore point that was created before the infiltration of Skype and then click on the Next button again.
- To start system restore, click Yes.
It is strongly recommended to take precautions and secure your computer from malware attacks. To protect your PC from Skype and other dangerous viruses, you should install and keep a powerful malware removal tool, for instance, ReimageIntego, SpyHunter 5Combo Cleaner or Malwarebytes.
How to prevent from getting malware
Prevent the government from spying on you
As there is a growing debate in government about collecting users' data and spying on citizens, you should take a closer look at this issue and find out what shady ways of gathering information can be used to collect information about you. You need to browse anonymously if you want to avoid any government-initiated spying and tracking of information.
You can enjoy secure internet browsing and minimize the risk of intrusion into your system if you use Private Internet Access VPN program. This VPN application creates a virtual private network and provides access to the required data without any content restrictions.
Control government and other third party access to your data and ensure safe web browsing. Even if you do not engage in illegal activities and trust your ISP, we recommend being careful about your security. You should take extra precautions and start using a VPN program.
Reduce the threat of viruses by backing up your data
Due to their own careless behavior, computer users can suffer various losses caused by cyber infections. Viruses can affect the functionality of the software or directly corrupt data on your system by encrypting it. These problems can disrupt the system and cause you to lose personal data permanently. There is no such threat if you have the latest backups, as you can easily recover lost data and get back to work.
It is recommended to update the backups in parallel each time the system is modified. This way, you will be able to access the latest saved data after an unexpected virus attack or system failure. By having the latest copies of important documents and projects, you will avoid serious inconveniences. File backups are especially useful if malware attacks your system unexpectedly. We recommend using the Data Recovery Pro program to restore the system.