The main reasons why you should eliminate Chumsearch.com virus immediately
Chumsearch.com virus can hijack all web browsers and modify their settings. Nevertheless, this browser hijacker sneaks into computer’s system silently; users soon notice that they lost control over their browsers. The virus alters browser’s settings and prevents users from resetting them.
After the hijack, virus sets new homepage and default search engine – Chumsearch.com. Browser hijacker is not dangerous itself; however, you should not delay its removal. It can install ‘helper objects,’ various apps or browser extensions, and let dangerous viruses enter computer’s system. So, encountering this browser hijacker might be the start of never-ending computer infections.
It’s better to remove Chumsearch.com as soon as it appears on the screen. We have no doubts that you are willing to get rid of this tool because it causes lots of annoying and potentially dangerous activities. One of the most troubling issues is Chumsearch.com redirect problem.
Browser hijacker initiates constant redirects to various websites. Some of these Internet sites are risky, and you won’t visit them under normal conditions. Users have noticed that virus redirects them to the same websites again and again. This happens, because the creators of the browser hijacker get revenue from generating traffic to sponsored websites.
Delivering sponsored content is the primary purpose of Chumsearch.com virus. It provides different types of advertisements. Unfortunately, most of them are fraudulent and might be a part of a malicious campaign. You will find lots of commercial content in the search results as well. However, the developers claim that Chumsearch.com allows accessing ‘wonderful things’ on the Internet. It’s hard to call suspicious and irrelevant links as ‘wonderful.’ Using this search engine, you can forget about safe browsing.
Needless to say, they can share the information with third party companies, and they can have some shady purposes. We recommend protecting your personal data by eliminating the virus immediately. Chumsearch.com removal can be completed with a help of ReimageIntego.
How does it spread?
The virus sneaks into computer’s system without asking user’s permission directly. The paradox is that users let browser hijacker in when they download and install freeware. Chumsearch.com hijack might have occurred with the latest program that you downloaded from the Internet. You might have installed a program from an unreliable source or used file-sharing services, or you have rushed with the installation process.
The developers add browser hijacker as ‘additional download’ and hide it under ‘Recommended’ or ‘Basic’ installation mode. Indeed, many users make this mistake and accept the offer to install softer using this setup. If you want to avoid potentially unwanted programs, you have to choose ‘Advanced’ or ‘Recommended’ installation mode. Then, you can monitor installation process and stop ‘additional downloads.’
How to remove Chumsearch.com browser hijacker?
Getting rid of the virus might seem like a challenge for many computer users. However, Chum Search is not a real and hazardous virus. It’s just a computer infection which can be removed quickly. The easiest way to remove Chumsearch.com is to use a security program.
If you use reputable and strong anti-malware program, you should update it right now. An outdated version might not be capable of detecting and eliminating virus with all its components from the computer. If you don’t use any program, download one of the programs suggested bellow.
Then, you have to run a full system scan and wait while it completes the task. Additionally, if you want to challenge yourself, you can try manual Chumsearch.com removal. But we have to warn you that this method requires lots of patience and attentiveness because it’s crucial to delete all virus-related components in order to prevent further infections.
You may remove virus damage with a help of ReimageIntego. SpyHunter 5Combo Cleaner and Malwarebytes are recommended to detect potentially unwanted programs and viruses with all their files and registry entries that are related to them.
To remove Chumsearch.com, follow these steps:
Uninstall Chumsearch.com in Windows systems
Virus elimination requires finding and eliminating all programs related to this browser hijacker. We recommended looking for these programs: MPlayerX, MessageViewer Toolbar, NicePlayer, SearchProtect, and ValueApps. Delete these programs from your computer without any consideration.
- Go to Start → Control Panel → Programs and Features (if you are Windows XP user, open Add/Remove Programs).
- If you are Windows 10 / Windows 8 user, click on Windows icon in the lower left corner of the screen to open Quick Access Menu. Then click Control Panel and select Uninstall a Program.
- Remove Chumsearch.com and programs related to it
Now, take a look at the list of programs and find Chumsearch.com or other programs that you do not remember installing.
- Right-click on these programs and select "Uninstall." Then click OK to save changes.
- Delete Chumsearch.com from Windows shortcuts
Right-click on the shortcut of Mozilla Firefox and click Properties.
- Now, go to Shortcut tab and find Target field. Then delete the URL that is associated with your virus.
Follow the same steps as explained above with all other shortcuts of Internet browsers, including Google Chrome and Internet Explorer. Please check Start Menu, Desktop, and taskbar to find all shortcuts.
Uninstall Chumsearch.com in Mac OS X system
To remove the virus you have to check your Mac OS X for MPlayerX, MessageViewer Toolbar, NicePlayer, SearchProtect, and ValueApps. These programs are related to Chumsearch.com virus. So, you have to uninstall these programs too.
- Users who use OS X should click on Go button, which can be found at the top left corner of the screen and select Applications.
- Wait until you see Applications folder and look for Chumsearch.com or any other suspicious programs on it. Now right click on every of such entries and select Move to Trash.
Delete Chumsearch.com from Mozilla Firefox (FF)
Delete suspicious browser extensions
Launch Mozilla Firefox, and then open menu (click a button at the top right corner). Then, go to Add-ons → Extensions.
- Now, locate Chumsearch.com and other suspicious extensions. Click Remove to eliminate them.
If virus altered your homepage, change it:
Open Firefox menu (click the button at the top right corner), and go to Options → General.
- Delete malicious URL and then enter the address of the website that you want to set as your homepage.
- Click OK to save the changes.
Reset all Mozilla Firefox settings
Click on the Firefox at the top left corner and then click the question mark. Then, select Troubleshooting Information.
- Reset Firefox to its default state message should appear then. You will see Reset Firefox button. Click this button a few times and finalise Chumsearch.com removal.
Delete Chumsearch.com from Google Chrome
Remove malicious extensions
Launch Google Chrome, and then open menu (click a button at the top right corner). Then, go to Tools → Extensions.
- Now, look for Chumsearch.com and other suspicious extensions and then click the trash icon to remove them.
If virus altered your homepage, change it:
Open menu and select Settings.
- Find Open a specific page or set of pages under On startup section and click Set pages.
- An additional window should pop-up. Here, remove dubious URLs and add a new page that you wish to set as a homepage.
- Open Chrome menu and go to Settings → Manage Search engines under the Search section.
- In Search Engines..., configure default search engine settings. Remove untrustworthy ones. We advise you to leave only Google or another reputable website of your choice.
Reset all Google Chrome settings
Open menu by clicking the button at the top right corner of Google Chrome, and go to Settings.
- Scroll down to find Reset browser settings button. Click on it.
- Click Reset to approve this action and finish Chumsearch.com removal.
Delete Chumsearch.com from Safari
- Delete suspicious browser extensions
Open Safari web browser and click on Safari in menu at the top left of the screen. Once you do this, select Preferences.
- Here, select Extensions and look for Chumsearch.com or other suspicious entries. Click on the Uninstall button to get rid each of them.
If virus altered your homepage, change it:
Open your Safari web browser and click on Safari in menu section. Here, select Preferences as it was displayed previously and select General.
- Here, look at the Homepage field. If it was altered by Chumsearch.com, remove unwanted link and enter the one that you want to use for your searches. Remember to include the "http://" before typing in the address of the page.
Reset all Safari settings
Open Safari browser and click on Safari in menu section at the top left of the screen. Here, select Reset Safari....
- Now you will see a detailed dialog window filled with reset options. All of those options are usually checked, but you can specify which of them you want to reset. Click the Reset button to complete Chumsearch.com removal process.
Securely connect to your website wherever you are
Sometimes you may need to log in to a content management system or server more often, especially if you are actively working on a blog, website, or different project that needs constant maintenance or that requires frequent content updates or other changes. Avoiding this problem can be easy if you choose a dedicated/fixed IP address. It's a static IP address that only belongs to a specific device and does not change when you are in different locations.
VPN service providers such as Private Internet Access can help you with these settings. This tool can help you control your online reputation and successfully manage your projects wherever you are. It is important to prevent different IP addresses from connecting to your website. With a dedicated/fixed IP address, VPN service, and secure access to a content management system, your project will remain secure.
Recover files damaged by a dangerous malware attack
Despite the fact that there are various circumstances that can cause data to be lost on a system, including accidental deletion, the most common reason people lose photos, documents, videos, and other important data is the infection of malware.
Some malicious programs can delete files and prevent the software from running smoothly. However, there is a greater threat from the dangerous viruses that can encrypt documents, system files, and images. Ransomware-type viruses focus on encrypting data and restricting users’ access to files, so you can permanently lose personal data when you download such a virus to your computer.
The ability to unlock encrypted files is very limited, but some programs have a data recovery feature. In some cases, the Data Recovery Pro program can help recover at least some of the data that has been locked by a virus or other cyber infection.